“You are what you eat”- is what pushes people towards “Healthy Eating.” Do you know what it means by healthy eating? OR why is it important to eat healthily? Read on to learn:
WHAT IS HEALTHY EATING?
Healthy eating means eating various foods that give you all the nutrients your body needs. It would help if you had proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, and water in the correct quantity to maintain your health and also for:
- Supporting the growth of your body
- Enhancing functions of your body
- Giving safety to your body from infections
- Aiding your body in producing a robust immune system
ALSO READ : What Does Health Mean?
FOOD SOURCES OF DIFFERENT NUTRIENTS:
For healthy eating, you need to decide what you should eat and avoid. Listed below are the sources of the essential nutrients required to live a long healthy life.
Cereal grains, rice, potatoes, cookies, pasta, etc., contain carbohydrates.
Eggs, chicken, oats, seafood, beans, and pulses contain proteins.
Avocado, Chia seeds, Dark chocolate, Eggs, Fatty fish, Flaxseeds, nuts, and seed butter, contain fats.
Eggs, shrimps, nuts, bread, seaweed, potatoes, dairy products, and iodized table salt contain iodine.
Milk, other dairy products, green leafy vegetables such as curly kale, bread, and anything made with fortified flour, fish are rich in calcium.
Onions, soups, cabbage, sandwich, sweet potato, broccoli, pumpkin seeds, vegetable juice, eggs, and milk
Milk, yogurt, chickpeas, soy products, beans, sesame, whole grain food products, etc.
Vitamin – A
Green leafy vegetables, cod liver oil, yellow-colored fruits, bell peppers, milk, nuts, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, etc., contain Vitamin-A.
Vitamin – B
Whole-grain foods, seafood, eggs, green leafy vegetables, milk, milk products, etc., contain Vitamin-B.
Vitamin – C
Citrus fruits, tomatoes, and tomato juice, and potatoes.
Vitamin – D
Fish, liver, egg yolks, cheese, margarine, cod liver oil, soy milk, beef liver, etc
Vitamin – E
Potatoes, turnip, pumpkin, avocado, guava, cooking oils, olives, mango, milk, nuts, seeds, etc., contain Vitamin E.
Vitamin – K
Green leafy vegetables, brussels sprouts, cabbage, lettuces. Soybean and canola oil etc., contain Vitamin-K.
ALSO READ : What is the Difference Between Health and Wellness?
COMMON MISCONCEPTION ABOUT NUTRITION
Listed below are some concepts about nutrition that we follow but are wrong:
Carbohydrates are bad for you
Our bodies need carbohydrates as they are a valuable energy source and do not make you gain weight.
Dinner should be the largest meal of the day
It is wise to eat a bulk of your daily calories during breakfast and lunch. So you don’t crave carbs and sweets in the afternoon and evening.
ALSO READ : The Potato Diet – Everything Explained
You can never eat “junk” food
Junk foods can be part of a healthy eating plan. Controlling your cravings and eating these foods in the correct ratio is the game.
You can eat all you want if you exercise
No! you cannot eat a super high-in-fat treat after slamming the gym. Once you take a peek at the ratio of bodily activity with your calorie input.
You must drink eight glasses of water each day
Hear your body! Some people may need more than eight glasses, while others may need less.
ALSO READ : Coke Zero Vs Diet Coke : Which One Is Better For You?
WHY IS EATING HEALTHY IMPORTANT?
Eating healthy is essential for:
1- To maintain weight
Take a healthy diet containing vegetables, fruits, and beans. Fewer calories and a small number of processed foods help to maintain weight.
2 – Reduced cancer threat
Berries, carrots, and nuts contain antioxidants that lessen the danger of developing cancer by defending cells from harm.
3 – To manage diabetes
A healthy diet helps people with diabetes by:
- adjusting blood glucose levels
- maintaining blood pressure and cholesterol within ranges
- avoiding complications of diabetes
- keeping a moderate weight
4 – For a healthy heart and stroke prevention
Healthy eating prevents heart disorders and stroke by reducing blood pressure and keeping the heart strong.
5 – For strong bones and teeth
Strong bones and teeth need foods with enough calcium and magnesium.
6 – For a better mood
Foods with lots of sugar increase sadness and weariness.
7 – To improve memory
Vitamins C, D, and E, omega-3 fatty acids, and fish are foods that boost memory.
8 – To improve gut health
A diet rich in vegetables, fruits, legumes, and whole grains helps good bacteria live in the colon, important for gut health.
ALSO READ : Don’t Start ABC Diet Without Reading These Important Facts
Fibre also promotes regular bowel movements, prevents bowel cancer and inflammation of the colon.
9 – To get a good night’s sleep:
Lessening alcohol and caffeine intake can enable a person to get a peaceful sleep.
HEALTHY EATING HABITS
A significant portion of healthy eating starts with developing healthy eating habits.
Whether you are attempting to lose weight or eating a more nutritious, balanced diet, developing these practices will assist you in achieving your goals and feel more sure about your eating habits:
Consume in Moderation
Moderation is the key to victory. Providing yourself the freedom to feast what you enjoy in healthy quantities is essential for your nutrition and general wellness.
- Treats are treats! When you treat an ice cream cone, relish the experience rather than thrashing yourself up for it. There is nothing sinful with treating yourself once in a while.
READ : Can Anxiety Or Stress Cause Diarrhea?
- Out of view, out of mind. Buy little of the food you want to alter. Having your pantry and fridge stored with junk foods and desserts will make it hard to resist. Store nutritious snacks instead.
- Strategy. Devouring in moderation involves making specific a healthy meal is within reach. Meal preparation will be your rescuer for this!
Portion size enables you to eat in moderation and saves you from overconsumption. Enormous portions mislead you into consuming more and gulping excess calories that can put you back. Follow these two tricks to eat in the right proportion.
- Use smaller plates.
- Measure and use accurate portion sizes.
Listen to your Body
It would be best not to keep eating until you feel full or uncomfortable.
- Swallow when you feel starved, not when you are bored.
- Eat slowly. Be sure to slow down so that you can sense the starvation go away and feel a relaxing, full sensation take over.
- Remember to be mindful while dining. Mindful eating will guide you to eat when you are starving and stop when satisfied.
ALSO READ : 151 Powerful Ways to Improve Work Performance
Do not Skip Meals
Skipping meals delays your metabolism and might even make you attain weight and cause your blood sugar levels to fall.
ALSO READ - Start Gaining Weight With The Weight Gainers
- Always consume breakfast. Devouring a wholesome breakfast at a reasonable hour is excellent for your metabolism and controls your hunger throughout the day.
- Keep nutritious snacks available at the job. Hunger pangs at work make it easy to munch on a bag of greasy chips. Always stay ready for cravings at work by saving nuts, veggie chips, or different healthy snacks at your desk.
Understand Your Facts
Comprehend What You are Eating
Eating well suggests how many nutrients you are obtaining from your meals.
- Know to interpret nutrition labels. Restrict sugar, sodium, saturated fat, and trans fat portions.
- Study the ingredient label. Know sneaky words for hidden sugar and different additives. Suppose a food product has numerous ingredients that you cannot pronounce; place it back on the shelf!
Make remaining hydrated a routine. Water has fantastic benefits for your body and nourishment.
- Replace soda and sweetened beverages with water. These beverages add empty calories to your diet.
- Keep clean water with you at all moments. Make sure that refreshing water is always available so that you can drink your advised intake of water every day.
Don’t beat yourself up!
Recognize that there is no such thing as eating correctly. It is okay to reward yourself with dessert or a pizza night with your family once in a while.
- Always keep a positive perspective about developing healthy eating habits. Penalizing yourself for having a slip-up or overindulging will only reduce your motivation.
HEALTHY EATING HABITS AND KIDS
Kids should eat every 3 to 4 hours, and most kids do well with three meals and two or three snacks a day.
Parents should eat meals together as a family as often as possible. Switch to small, easy-to-achieve changes, such as fruits and vegetables at meals and snacks.
HOW TO START EATING HEALTHY?
Diet frenzies come and go, but the science of feasting healthy has not changed.
One study that calculates all the science on how to eat healthily is from the scientific report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee:
A healthy dietary pattern is rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low- or non-fat dairy, seafood, legumes, and nuts; moderate in alcohol (among adults); lower in red and processed meat; and low in sugar-sweetened foods and drinks and refined grains.
SOME FACTS ABOUT HEALTHY EATING
- Healthy eating saves you money. A Harvard study found unhealthy diets full of processed foods cost more than healthy ones full of whole foods.
- A well-balanced diet could enhance your mood. British psychology journal concludes that people who eat more fruits and vegetables have better mental health.
ALSO READ - A Complete Guide to Live a Healthy Lifestyle
- A healthy diet could reduce your blood pressure, a US study stated.
Healthy eating and forming healthy habits will change how you think about eating. Over time, these minor differences can make a significant difference in your health and happiness.
Hence, eating healthy is the key to a healthful, happy life. Happy Eating!
Featured Photo by Josh Millgate on Unsplash
Nearmonk.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We may earn a small commission for our endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.